Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Crafty Kids Project #3: Birthday Card for Lola


Last Sunday, my grandmother celebrated her 86th birthday.  The week before that, we rounded up the kids (great grandkids, actually) to make a birthday card for her.  "Lola" is Tagalog for grandma, and interestingly enough, great grandchild translates to "apo sa tuhod".  Which literally means grandchild at the knee (yes, the body part), while great great grandchild is "apo sa talampakan" - grandchild at the sole (as in the bottom of the feet).  Odd, isn't it?  I wonder how those terms came about.  But I digress, so back to the kids making a card.

Actually, I recently purchased this flower-shaped mini album (made up of 5 foam pages and bound with a ball  chain) for this particular occasion, so the kids can each have a page for their greetings.  But instead of letting them loose and do whatever they want with their page, in the end my sister and I wanted to make a unified mini.  As I was browsing Scrapbuck.com (please check them out - they have a lot of great stuff at a very reasonable price) a couple of weeks ago, I saw some really cute animal wall art.  And this has inspired me to have on each page, a particular animal with a its own sentiment.  Here's what I came up with:
  • Bird:  "A little bird told me it's your BIRTHDAY!" (cover page)
  • Chicken:  "How egg-citing!"
  • Hippopotamus:  "Hip-hippo-ray!"
  • Bee:  "Bee happy!"
  • Cat:  "Have a purr-fect day!"
To prep for this project, I stamped the sentiments on white cardstock, sketched out and cut all the shapes  for each paper pieced animal, and finally, left out the colored markers and stickers so the kids can decorate the pages however they wish.  And so here they are with the pages they made.


  

This is a little more effort on the kids' part as when they got their kits, they had no idea how to arrange the pieces to make up their animal of choice.  Fortunately, I still had my original sketch of the different animals and what they were supposed to say, so we just passed that around until everyone was able to finish their page.  Then they wrote/drew their personal greetings on the back of their page.  And by the way, my sister stepped up to make the hippo page, since nobody wanted to do it.  The kids were probably intimated by the number of pieces (10) or got confused because it's pink.  In any case, we all had fun.  It's all in the googly eyes, I think. :-) 


Materials:  Mini album and stickers (All About Scrapbooking), magnetic alphabet stamps (Making Memories), ink (Studio G), border die cuts (Papemelroti), others - colored markers and googly eyes.

1 comment: