Monday, October 8, 2012

Celebrating World Card Making Day

Sunday afternoon marked the first time we'll be celebrating World Card Making Day.We had been anticipating this day for quite some time and the preps I did took me well into the wee hours of Sunday morning.  I had planned on each kid making three cards in all - a Halloween card, a Christmas card, and an anything-goes card, where the kids can use it for any occasion they want.  I made a sample for each and prepared six kits per card (expecting four kids and one adult, plus one for me to demo).  It probably took me much longer to look up ideas and inspiration than to work on the kits, but it was all worth getting only about three hours of sleep.

 The sample cards.  It took a while to decide what cards we would make, 
but in the end, the prime consideration was that they should be something the kids
 would enjoy doing - nothing too complicated, but something that we'd all be proud of.

Took a pic of all the kits I prepared the night (up until the early morning) before.  
There seems to be a lot (18 kits in all), but compared to the first ever project we did, 
this actually look less time and effort to prep.

The Halloween card sample up close.  I admit, the color isn't all that Halloween-y, 
but I really like how this turned out.  The patterned paper is pretty but a little bit eerie.  
 
A really simple Christmas card (sample).  I cut all the patterned paper strips, 
which were all double sided, so the kids can choose which design they would like to use.

The sample I prepared for the anything-goes card, which is basically an all-occasion card 
that the kids can turn into any kind of card they want.  I made this one 
with a stamped sentiment that says "thinking of you".
 
The fruits of our labor.  I like to keep the design simple enough so the kids can easily follow, 
but I also love it when they put their own twist to it (like the one on top).

Our anything-goes cards:  there's a birthday card, a "thinking of you" card, 
a "Happy New Year" card, and one that says "happy everything!"

Jessica with all the cards that she made.  

In the end, the afternoon went very quickly.  Both the kids and the adults had a great time.  It's a great way to spend an afternoon seeing the kids smile, along with the awesome feeling that they've accomplished something.  Hope you had a fun and fruitful World Card Making Day!

No comments: