Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Page Remake: Giving Thanks

With the school year about to start next week, and the preparations starting this week, I'm afraid that this blog will again suffer from neglect.  My teaching load is the heaviest it's been and working with five classes (just imagine the endless piles of papers to grade!) will probably keep me extremely busy, but I will promise to try to post as often as I can.  So this might mean that I will be putting up old projects, which - as I am still purging my stuff - I unearth little by little.

But what's up here today is a remake of an old scrapbook page.  When I was in grad school in the US, I kept a scrapbook of sorts (although I didn't realize it at the time).  I have plenty of pictures that I kept organized and ready for viewing in photo albums.  But since we had our pictures printed in photo labs, they came with copies and besides framing them or giving them away, I didn't know what else to do with all the extras.  So I got this spiral scrapbook album where I kept those pics.  It's also useful for housing letters, greeting cards, invitations, brochures, etc.  Although I had good intentions at the beginning, as grad school got more hectic and stressful, I was unable to keep track of everything (sadly, the last entry is from Thanksgiving in 2000).  So when I finished and came home to the Philippines in 2005, I had resolved to redo the album.  And as I became increasingly interested in scrapbooking, I vowed to improve on each of the pages, which isn't really much of a stretch because the pages were mostly pictures and mementos.  There were rarely any embellishments, or even journaling.  Yikes!  But the memories are mostly there, so I thought that I'd better work on it before I forget about it altogether.

This was the "remake" of a page.  After looking through the album several times and getting stuck, I just started working on this page, which is the very last one in the album.  It only had two pictures and it was simple enough.  Now it took me a while to finish the page.  I thought that I wanted to make it an honest-to-goodness layout and base it on a sketch, coordinate the embellishments, and with well thought out journaling.  I am pleased with the finished product, but it took way too long to finish it.  So after this page, I thought that I would just make the process less tedious and more free-wheeling.  This is, after all, a hobby and I plan to enjoy it every step of the way.

Tools & Supplies:  Cardstock (Mint Fancy Papers), patterned paper (Recess), chipboard letters (Dreamstreet Papers), flowers, brads, and conchos (All About Scrapbooking), pen (Dong-A), stamps (Pink Paislee), others - lace flower (handmade).

No comments: