Tuesday, May 22, 2012

First ever ATC

I first encountered ATCs (artist trading cards) on youtube, on the APieceofCraftdotcom channel, where Marion Smith talks about starting an ATC club.  The cards are basically made to showcase the artist (a business card of sorts), using any kind of medium/media just as long as it's all contained on a 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" card, which are traded among artists (not sold/purchased).  I was instantly intrigued, not necessarily because I wanted to make them myself, but as an ongoing project for an elective I am teaching in school.  My idea was to assign s specific topic/theme for each month and the students swap cards when they're done.  This is was a bit of a challenge for them since the subject is Special Topics in the Life Sciences, so it was cool to see what ideas they came up with trying to interpret scientific concepts in an artistic or creative way.  I had students who were anxious at first as they feel that they are not creative at all, but it really wasn't about the end product being pretty or visually compelling.  It was actually all about their thought process.  And the swap at the end of each month didn't hurt at all.  So anyway, this particular ATC has nothing to do with the class I was teaching, but it was simply me trying my hand at it.  On a scrap piece of black cardstock, I tried out some stamps (Fiskars and 7Gypsies) that I bought recently and heat embossed the stamped images.  I also added some paper flowers (Prima), brads, and bling.  And then I rounded the corners to finish it off.  It's really very simple, but I'm happy with how it turned out.  And I have it on display in my craft space ever since I finished making it.

No comments: