Monday, June 17, 2013

Mom, love you so. XOXO.


And so after coloring using watercolor pencils in my last project (Mother's Day ATCs) I wanted to get in touch with my inner child again by coloring some more in these tags I made for a Mother's Day tag swap organized by Ms. Sasa at TeaTime and Craft (formerly Graceful Crafting).  This time I colored in digital stamps that I purchased from The Greeting Farm.  I used these two in particular: the Cupcake Anya digi and the Valentine Anya digi.  Aren't they super cute?


So here I was, trying out different coloring materials - markers (Stabilo, Staedtler, Sharpie) and colored pencils (Prang and Staedtler).  I didn't dare try the watercolor pencils, because I knew they would run. And for this particular project, I wanted the lines crisp and really distinct because the stamps have a cartoon-ish quality that I really love.


And so with all the experimentation that I did, I ended up using different combinations of colors and some are more vibrant than others.  The ones with the subtler colors were done in pencil, and the brighter ones, of course, were colored with markers.  I've found that it takes much more effort to use the pencils than the markers (even if they pencils are better for detailed work), which why there are only three of them out of the twelve.  Markers or pencils, this is indeed painstaking work - coloring with highlights and shading in the hair, skin, and clothes.  But it did help that I was able to draw inspiration from Kristina Werner's coloring her stamped images, especially in this one card, from Day 25 of her 2012 Holiday Card Series.  Isn't she gorgeous?

I also anticipated that I had to do some fussy cutting here, and I practiced first.  Even though I've always loved paper crafting, I must say, I'm a little bit lacking when it comes to cutting with scissors.  I even have a hard time cutting a straight line with them, that I'd rather use a box cutter than scissors.  But the trick here is to try to cut as close to the outline as possible, but not to worry if you go beyond it.  You can always use a black marker to fix the booboos. :-)  In facts, I ran the black marker all around (along the edges) the fussy cut image to give it a more finished look.
 

All I had to do now was to assemble the tags.  I used assorted polka dot patterned papers for the background, which included assorted scraps from previous projects and newly purchased paper from Kraft Yard.  Stamped the sentiments, then added fabric and paper flowers, some ribbon, eyelets, twine and plastic charms and here they are the finished tags!  Whew.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Aw! These are too cute!! Love them all :) Thanks so much for sharing and hope to see more of your projects in the future!

Hugs!
Joy

Neutral said...

Ang cute!